Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Birthday Song

Oh my gosh... I just bought Christopher the coolest birthday present ever!  Granted, he asked for a ukulele (he never requests gifts, so I jumped at the chance to fulfill his wish), but he wasn't expecting to get one of the most beautiful, well designed ukuleles on the market!  Don't worry, he doesn't read my blog, so my secret is safe with you.  Allow me to introduce you to the Oscar Schmidt OU7T Tenor Ukulele:


It comes with the best strings on the market (so say the enthusiasts), is handmade from the wood of a Spalted Mango tree, has ebony buttons, and is bound with abalone. I can't wait to get my hands... uh, Christopher's hands... on this thing! 


Chris's birthday is fast approaching - June 27 - and I have been wracking my brain, trying to think of amazing ideas for his party.  Ideally, we would have a barbecue in the park, but we are lacking in one essential element: a grill.  There goes that plan.  Idea number two involves a bunch of good friends, alcoholic beverages, and an open, well-lit setting where we could all hang out for a few hours.  I've got a couple of places in mind, but nothing perfect yet.  He's turning 33 this year, which means he's (thankfully) over the initial shock of being in his 30s, but still needs to feel energetic and fun.  I, being the birthday nut, am more excited about having a party than he is.  ;)


All of this talk about birthdays has got me thinking about my own.  In a few short months I'll be 28 years old!  I love aging.  There's something so refreshing about constantly changing, maturing, and learning. I finally got my first wrinkle a few weeks ago, and am super excited despite the fact that my husband and friends keep assuring me it doesn't count.  I can't wait to see what I look like as a white haired, shriveled up old lady!  It's going to be awesome!


I usually throw myself a birthday party every year, but this year I'm feeling particularly nostalgic and adventurous.  I want to go to New York City.  I haven't been since I moved back to Florida, and I miss it terribly.  I have a love/hate relationship with that place, and I could never have lived there on a long term basis, but there is something about it that makes me feel completely connected with the world and myself.  It's hard to describe unless you've been there, and if you haven't yet then you are absolutely invited to come with me in September!  I'm making some money from my summer internship, and I have a few friends with whom we can stay.  Seriously, I desperately need a vacation full of friends, strangers, food, and shopping.  The time is now!

1 comment:

  1. Okay i'm catching up with your blog backwards and I've made an important decision: DUEL TRIP TO NEW YORK. Let's plan one together in Sept for your birthday!

    THIS MUST HAPPEN.

    (Also, your present for Christopher is fantastic)

    ReplyDelete