Sunday, June 19, 2011

Secret Garden

Well, it's 12:50pm and I've been awake for hours now.  This may not seem like a big deal to my followers in Malaysia, but for anyone who knows me this marks a significant change in my normal routine.  Historically, I have not been a "morning person."  Growing up, mornings always came far too soon and were undoubtedly marked by a lot of tired groaning, yelling, and my mother ripping the sheets off of my bed in order to shock me awake.  God, I hated that.  For the past few months, however, I have been learning to appreciate the quiet that comes from waking early.  Instead of snapping out of bed with just enough time to take a 15 minute shower, run a brush through my hair, and sprint to the bus stop, I now enjoy waking slowly, brewing a fresh carafe of coffee, reading the daily news (aka Facebook), and puttering around our garden.

That's right, folks.  We have a garden!


I've always wanted to be the kind of person who has a garden.  When I was younger I would imagine my future to be in a house with a wood burning stove, a vegetable garden, fruit trees of all sorts, three chickens to provide me fresh eggs, two goats to do my yard maintenance and provide milk for cheese, and one cow to, you know, do cow-stuff.  Clearly, I don't exactly have the proper mindset to be a great farmer.  I never thought I would actually grow my own food or cook what I sewed, but the day before yesterday I actually got a chance to pull a carrot (not yet ripe, mind you.  I'm still learning.) out of one of my pots, peel it, and eat it!  It was pretty friggin' magical.  There's a sort of odd liberation that comes from the knowledge that you have the power to control your own sustenance. It's one of the things I love most about living in Portland, and only adds to my pre-existing snootiness over ingredients and food quality.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a total chick when it comes to getting my hands dirty.  Once again, I count myself lucky for having found such a rugged manly-man to take care of the ickier things in life.  For instance, lately our brussels sprouts have been getting eaten alive by a colony of small, green caterpillars, which Christopher bravely picked off the plants one-by-one yesterday.  Sure, he then proceeded to dump the pile of caterpillars in our neighbors yard, but I won't tell if you don't. With any luck, our multitude of greens will survive the temporary infestation and produce hundreds of delicious sprouts for us to eat and trade for eggs around the neighborhood (all of our neighbors have chickens). Seriously, I know I live in the city but this is like my inner-country girl's dream come true!

Living in Portland has taught me many things about life, but the most important lesson so far, and certainly the most salient in today's message, has been the importance of finding ways to slow down and appreciate everything more.  If I weren't waking up early (well, earlier), I would miss out on the opportunity to experience the morning zen-sation of drinking my coffee and tending to my garden. I am especially looking forward to practicing my new morning-person-ness in the wintertime this year, when the sun goes down at 4:30pm.  Believe me, when you wake up at noon and are only able to really enjoy two or three hours of sunlight per day, the joy of sleeping in hardly seems worth it.  Sure, there's a certain amount of internal stigma that I associate with going to bed at 10:00pm and waking up at 7:00am (old lady much?), but I feel like I'm finally starting to get it.  Well, most of the time at least.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing well chickie! I too have never been a morning person. For whatever reason, I am programmed to stay up late and roll out of bed late. I too am trying to adjust to getting up early because getting to work with like one min to spare is stressful especially when your job has a no tolerance policy with tardiness.

    I'm glad you are doing good well and maybe one day I can come out to see you. I would love to see Oregon.

    By the way I have my own blog for all of my art and craftiness. Yes I am still carrying on Grandma Helen's legacy of sewing and crafts. I love it.

    My blog is www.craftyimagingsbyjen.blogspot.com. I also have a reading blog too. Trying to keep up with that one. www.jenscozyreadingspace.blogspot.com.

    Talk to you later!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jennifer M. - Hey, cousin! Thank you for stopping by my blog, and I really hope you do come out and visit me sometime! I think you and Christian will love it here. I did not know that you had blogs, but I just checked them out and they're great! Consider me an official follower!

    ReplyDelete