Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Video Killed the Radio Star

Whenever Christopher and I engage in a dispute, there's always a central theme that arises.  It's the same one every time.  We'll be arguing, and inevitably he'll say something like "Lindsey, we're not Dan and Roseanne" or "This isn't TV; I'm not going to follow whatever script is in your head." On multiple levels these comments fascinate me, founded or not.

Over the past two weeks, I've been assisting with a social psychology course (acting as teaching assistant, that is), and last week someone brought up the concept of TV characters acting as a sort of pretend group of friends or family members.  It made me chuckle a bit, because that is exactly the sort of thing Chris is always talking about: our imaginary TV friends. This, of course, spurred a whole classroom debate on how television effects the way in which we engage in interpersonal relationships, cope with issues like loneliness, and compare ourselves to unattainable standards like those shown in family sitcoms (e.g., the 'middle class' family living in a five bedroom, four bathroom home within a safe, suburban neighborhood). At the end of the class, I found my self wondering if Christopher wasn't on to something.

In many ways, my parents' relationship has always mimicked a sort of 'Dan and Roseanne', 'Tim and Jill' dynamic.  In fact, whenever I feel homesick I pop in an episode of "Home Improvement" (yes, I own it.  Don't mock!). Conversely, my favorite shows, or the ones I relate to the most, are "Gilmore Girls" and "Ally McBeal", both of which star a female character who has many fun, cute quirks, is intelligent and imaginative, and talks at lightning speed. I wonder, thinking about these traits, whether I like these characters because they remind me of myself, or if I've inadvertently modeled myself after them. Likewise, have I been conducting my marriage based on the lessons I learned from watching my parents, or on the television counterparts I compare them to?  I feel like I'm stuck in an episode of the "Twilight Zone" or something.  GAH!  I did it again!!!

I have no poignant thoughts or words of advice on this issue.  Actually, I probably need the advice this time around, truthfully speaking.  Is the solution to stop watching TV?  Is merely being aware of the issue enough to curb these negative, mimicking behaviors?  Interesting questions, indeed.  If you think of a good solution let me know.  I'm going to go watch some "West Wing".


2 comments:

  1. To add to this - every girl (who's watched the show) at one points picks which "Sex and the City" character they are. I don't know if i've modeled myself after characters I like, but I am always drawn to shows with friendship as the central theme. (i.e. Friends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hesitated to mention "Sex and the City", but I'm glad you brought it up. It's probably the best example of a singular show that contained characters its viewers directly identified with. And in witnessing the droves of women (in groups of four, no less) rushing to the SATC movie premiers (including us!) I think it's safe to say that a certain amount of modeling was taking place. Great point!

    ReplyDelete