Sunday, September 25, 2011

Thanks for the Memories

We all get older. We may not necessarily all 'grow up', we may follow different paths entirely (or still be searching for our paths), but time affects everyone the same. This weekend I attended a wedding which, for all intents and purposes, was as much a sort of high school reunion as it was a marriage reception. I saw people I haven't seen or talked to in ten years, and I reconnected with some that I haven't spoken to outside of Facebook in almost as many. It was really nice. Some people have done amazingly well at life so far, by all measurable standards. They are married, have great jobs, wear nice clothes, own cars, mingle like champs... You get the idea. Some have let their vices define them, unfortunately, and have hit a sort of standing pattern until the next phase of life finds them. Then there are those of us who fall somewhere in the middle. We are the ones who are on the cusp of being grownups, able to fit in and converse with both sides of the spectrum, because just as we are nearing respectable futures we still relate to the people we were just a few years (months?) ago.

I missed my high school reunion, but the wedding filled whatever void my absence there might have created. I get it. It was truly wonderful hanging out with all of my friends, and in a way channelling who we used to be: the outcasts and/or the 'cool' kids on the periphery. And there were dinosaurs! Dinosaurs are awesome.

Now, time to get back to real life and start grad school in the morning. Nothing like the thought of Univariate Statistics to sober you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment