Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Baby's Got a Secret

Okay, it's 1:22am and I have a confession to make.  Remember that inspired blog I wrote a while back that was all about how I've become a morning person and started a garden? Well...

After one week of enjoying my newly found morning-person-ness, I quickly fell back into my old habits.  Case in point, I'm still awake right now.  In fact, for the past three weeks or so I've been staying up until at least 2:00am and fighting with myself to get up in time to run out the door for work in the mornings.  And the garden? Well, it's pretty much deceased at this point.  I'm chocking that up to a lack of consistent watering (all four of us work different, long hours so it's hard to keep a good watering schedule) and the crazy high temperatures that we've been experiencing in Portland over the past few weeks. Whatever the cause, our stuff is definitely not rocking right now.

I am not disheartened by this information, though. Nope, not at all.  It's just another in a long series of life lessons.  In the general way, I've tended to live my life moving from one extreme to the next.  For instance, I thought I might secretly be a city person, so I up and moved to New York.  Turns out my body and mind craved more nature than the Big Apple was able to provide. Then I thought I might be more into the old-timey, rural lifestyle so Chris and I moved into my grandmother's old house in a small town in Central Florida. Yeah, that turned out to be more creepy than anything.  The experience, if nothing else, taught me that I am not a fan of what the kids call 'country dark'; I was pretty well convinced that every bump in the night was some sort of country bumpkin serial killer trying to break in and... Well, you know.  So, in a kind of inspired compromise, Chris and I moved out here to embrace the city-meets-nature wonderment of Portland.

See, I wasn't at all lying in the other blog.  I actually do want chickens, and I would love to have a beautiful garden and fruit trees.  I just now know that the missing link to making that equation truly fantastic was a well-paid, talented expert to do all of the actual gardening for us.  You know, someone who can actually be devoted to the well-being of our veggies and fruits and water them regularly.  See, I learned something!  Yay!

Regarding the sleep schedule issue, I am pretty well at a loss.  I think some people just aren't meant to get up early, and I thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I've chosen a career path which can potentially allow for a semi-flexible schedule.  Really, it's for the benefit of everyone involved.  Just ask Chris, you do not want to be near me that early anyhow.  I'm a cranky wench.  No lie.

Anyhoo, I'm going to try to get some sleep now, by the light of my computer monitor.  I think I've also become an internet addict, but that's a subject for another post.  Until then, toodle-oo!

1 comment: