Monday, October 12, 2009

Headache

So, the pumpkin patch trip has been postponed, due to the WORST HEADACHE EVER. Seriously, as someone who very rarely gets headaches at all, migraines equal death. I was in bed, half-asleep, for the better part of Saturday and Sunday. There must have been something in the air, because Chris was feeling the same pains Sunday morning. Either that or we're hitting that married couple stride where we literally share each others feelings. Hmm... weird.

Anyway, for those who don't know, I babysit three fantastic (and sometimes mentally-challenging) children every Monday and Friday afternoon. Well, this past Friday the boy (we'll call him JJ) had a sore throat and cough and, being a child, rarely remembered to cover his mouth. Every now and then I wonder if I have a touch of hypochondriac in me, because I tend to jump to the worst conclusions first and then work backwards from that. Case in point, I woke up Saturday morning with the headache gods drilling a hole in my brain, and my first thought was, "oh no! JJ must have the swine flu, and he gave it to me. ARG! Now I have to miss school, and I won't be able to study, and I'll get Chris sick, etc. etc." Then, about 27 seconds later I thought, "Oh yeah. Chris and I went out last night, and I had my first glass of wine in weeks, and it was a bold, red wine. I guess I'll be okay. Stupid hangover!" Although, in retrospect I think the headache was due not just to the wine, but also to the fact that I ate some gluten at the kids house Friday afternoon (homemade butterscotch pancakes! How can you not eat something that you're cooking, and smelling, and drooling over?!). Today my arm has rough patches all over it, and my head is still a little fuzzy. I need to put a little more forethought into my meals when I'm over there from now on.

So, last night Chris and I finally got tired of laying around the dark apartment and decided that it was time to bust out. We drove up the Historic Columbia River Highway, and enjoyed the beginnings of the Fall color-change along the gorge. That drive is by far one of my favorite activities in this area! It's supposed to rain almost everyday this week, but I don't mind. The rain makes the grass green and the flowers grow, and that is a small price to pay to live in such a beautiful city. Plus, I'm hoping that eventually these drizzles turn into snow flurries. Then life would be perfecto!

Speaking of perfecto, I made a delicious Pumpkin Soup the other day! Here's the recipe:

1 can Organic Pumpkin
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup Orange Pineapple juice (I like Simply Orange brand, but I'm sure others would be equally yummy)
1/4 cup cream (I used MimicCream, which is a nut/rice based non-dairy creamer. Regular or soy creamer would work as well)
2 tbsp All Spice
1 tbsp salt (then more to taste at the end)
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/4 red onion, chopped

1) Melt your chopped onion, garlic, olive oil, and salt in the bottom of a medium saucepan, until soft.
2) Add the Orange Pineapple Juice and All Spice. Bring to a light boil.
3) Add the water. Continue boiling.
4) Add the pumpkin, and stir in completely.
5) Add the pepper.
6) Use an immersion blender to break down the onions and garlic, until the soup is smooth.
7) Turn off the heat, and stir in the cream. Taste and re-season if needed.

That's it! Super easy! The whole process took me about 10-15 minutes, and Christopher (who hates soup) had two helpings. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey - You are not a hypochondriac! I AM! You assume swine flu which is reasonable considering you work with children and it is flu season... I on the other hand would have assumed aneurysm or a brain tumor! haha. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'll have to give that recipe a try, sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete