Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's a Beautiful Morning

Perfection. Today is sheer perfection. Well, weather-wise, at least. I slept in much later than I should have today. My plan was to be on campus by 8am so that I could read and review my notes before my 12:00 class, but I actually got out of bed at 12:30, missed my noon class, and strolled in 5 minutes late for my 2:00 class. Whoops! This is an insignificant tangent, however, because the real star of this story was the beautiful, clear blue sky and 62 degree temperature that greeted me when I finally did leave my apartment.

You see, I hate to feel rushed. There is nothing that can ruin my day faster than that stomach-in-the-throat feeling you get from knowing that you're running late (because of this I tend to be 5-10 minutes early for everything). I should have felt that today, but as soon as I walked out the door of my apartment building, the cool, crisp air filled my senses and diffused whatever worries I may have had. I patiently sat at my bus stop, unworried about the 20 minute wait [as I had just missed the previous bus while hunting for my keys]. I just sat and watched the world around me. I watched the people pass by me, I watched the leaves blowing in the slight breeze, I felt the warm touch of the sun through the chill in the air... it was sheer perfection. I do not at all regret sleeping in and missing class today. In fact, I'm kicking myself for attending my other two classes, as all I'd like to do is go on a long walk around the streets of Portland. Days like this are not uncommon in this city, but for some reason today really spoke to me. It reminded me of how happy I am to live here, and how wonderful life really is.

How's that for waxing poetic?

1 comment: