Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tonight

Have you ever had an itch that you can't scratch? Or an idea that, despite your high levels of enthusiasm, you just can't seem to bring to fruition? Well, I have. As a matter of fact I've had loads of them. The itches are my reason for still being awake at 4:20am, while my husband quietly snores by the light of my Macbook keyboard. The ideas are a consistent, unrelenting reminder of my so-far unfulfilled potential. Take, for instance, blogging. I enjoy the idea of keeping a blog. When I was growing up I had a big-time crush on journals. It would be fair to call me a collector, as I had about 20 beautiful, handcrafted journals adorning my shelves by the time I turned 25. The problem: I never wrote in any of them. At least not consistently. I merely enjoyed the idea of keeping a journal, but the writing part always seemed too daunting. I mean, my handwriting has never been nice enough for those gorgeous, rice paper pages. Silly? Yes. Absolutely.

Fast forward to the first days of fall, 2009. I am now 27 years old. I live with my overwhelmingly handsome, though often inscrutable, husband and our two insane(ly cute) cats. I am [finally] finishing my undergraduate degree, after many years of time off in the name of 'self-discovery.' At this point in my life there are three things that I definitely know for sure, and they are as follows:

1. Age is cyclical. At 24, I was as self-assured and confident in my understanding of the world as I was at 17. Now that I'm 27, I'm as unsure of the future and as self-referential as I was at 20. Clearly the interval for me is 7 years, give or take a few months.

2. Health is our most important asset. Since becoming vegetarian, and later discovering my gluten allergy, I have been healthier than I ever was as an omnivore. I research and take the appropriate vitamins and enzymes for my diet. I purchase as many locally grown and/or produced food items as possible. Let me tell you, I have never felt more energetic, clear-headed, or, well, healthy in my life!

3. A smile really will brighten your day. It's true! And, you know what? If your smile is genuine, it can also be contagious. That, my friends, is a psychological fact.

That being said, I haven't yet decided what direction to take this blog in. Honestly, my biggest issue with blogs is that they always seem too self-involved. Who really needs to know the inner-workings of my brain? But, I suppose if you didn't want to know, you probably wouldn't read this anyhow... Okay, here goes:

This blog will be about me. It will be my outlet when I am drowning in emotional pitfalls. It will be a place where I can share my funny stories and dreams. It will be a way for the world to see me more clearly. Lastly, it will be updated every day, guaranteed. I am going to stick with this one. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I too have a pile of journals that are mostly empty! I love your blog so far, keep at it! GET SOME SLEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I think we may very well be at the same place in our lives. Except you're on the other side of the country ;) I feel the same way! About school and life and health and everything :D Good luck with your blog!!

    ReplyDelete