Monday, October 5, 2009

The Monster Mash


Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Having grown up in Florida, where seasons are 87% imaginary (there's a few chilly days here and there), I always looked forward to that first "cold" day of the year. I affectionately named this "Park Day," and would roll down my car windows, crank up some deliciously comfy folk music, and smile all the way to my favorite swing set. There were always a few friends who were willing to humor my made-up holiday, and every time I experience a chilly day here in Portland, I inevitably think of them: Alan, Lauren, Ben, and Natalia.

This week, my favorite season started to rear it's head, and, for the first time in my life, I am actually living somewhere where I'll be able to experience a real color change. As a matter of fact, it's already started. The tips of several trees in my neighborhood are turning beautiful hues of pink, yellow, and red. All I can think to do is drink as much hot cocoa as possible and walk around the streets of Ladd's Addition, staring affectionately at the Fall foliage.

There is one thing which I'm looking forward to above all else, though. You see, Portland is surrounded by pumpkin patches. The most sincere pumpkin patches you've ever seen! And this year is the first year of my life that I have the opportunity to cut my own pumpkin off of its vine. I'm not sure why, but in my mind this one singular event epitomizes the feeling of Fall/Halloween. This weekend Chris and I are making the trek to Sauvie Island, and I will be sure to post lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment